Jailbreak iOS 4 iPhone 3GS, 3G and iPod touch 2G with PwnageTool 4.0 / 4.01
Some important notes from Dev-Team’s blog. MUST READ:
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
iPod touch 2G
- If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
The following step-by-step instructions will help you jailbreak your iPhone running on iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4.0.
Step 1: Download and install the latest version of iTunes.
Step 2: Now start iTunes and sync your iPhone with your PC
so that it backs-up all your important data including settings, apps, music, contacts and photos.
Step 3: Download PwnageTool 4.0 and the original iOS 4.0 for your version of iPhone or iPod touch (download links given below). Move all these files to your desktop.
Step 4: Start PwnageTool 4.0 and select your device:
Clicking on “Yes” will update your baseband to the latest version. Click on “Yes” only if you are on an officially supported carrier like AT&T.
Step 7: PwnageTool will now create the custom .ipsw file for your iPhone which will be jailbroken.
Step 8: Once the .ipsw file has been created, you will now have to restore your iPhone to this custom firmware 4.0 that you just cooked using PwnageTool 4.0 for your iPhone or iPod touch. Click on your phone icon from the sidebar in iTunes. Now press and hold left “alt” button (“Shift” button on Windows) on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” (Not “Update” or “Check for Update”) button in the iTunes and then release the “Shift” button.
This will make iTunes prompt you to select the location for your downloaded custom firmware 4.0. Select that custom .ipsw file and click on “Open”.
Step 9: Now sit back and enjoy as iTunes does the rest for you. This will involve a series of automated steps. Be patient at this stage and don’t do anything silly. Just wait while iTunes installs the new firmware 4.0 on your iPhone. Your iPhone screen at this point will be showing a progress bar indicating installation progress. After the installation is done, iPhone will restart automatically and you should now have a fully jailbroken iPhone running on iOS 4.
Step 10: Once you are done with the unlocking (done with UltraSn0w) and jailbreak process. You can now restore all your settings, apps, music, contacts and photos to the newly installed firmware version 4.0 by restoring the backup that you made in Step 2 from iTunes.
Disclaimer: This guide is for testing & educational purposes only. Follow it on your own risk. I’m not responsible for any loss of important data or malfunctioning of your iPhone.
Feel free to ask me any question here should you run into any problem during the jailbreak process.